Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Fallout 4 and mindless speculation!

                       Time for me to pretend to be a video game blogger again! If you don't know my massive love for Fallout, then you should return to my incredibly long post about why borderlands is a bad game ( I rave about Fallout for a bit in it). But now I finally have a new Fallout and I can ignore how buggy New Vegas was merely an appetizer, teasing my palate for the main course. And with any new trailer it's time for me to speculate and bullshit until the point where I go back to this post a year from now and remember how much of fool I am.
                        First thing I noticed about the Fallout 4 trailer is how it begins in a very similar manner to the teaser of Fallout 3. I often thought of the accompany songs as setting the theme of the game. For example, "I don't want to set the world on fire" is a song about a lover who is set on finding some sort of happiness, but does not want to engage in a systematic destruction of the world to get it. Comparing this to Fallout 4, the lyrics are selectively muffled. We hear the beginning of the song, " it's all over, but the crying." This opening lyric can signify a tone switch in the games. As opposed to a story of finding resolution, instead this will be game punctuated by constant loss, possibly due to the subtext of the impending nuclear war that keeps breaking through in the game. Perhaps the game exists to reconcile the difficult history that created the apocalyptic nuclear
wastelands. If that didn't sound like an over analysis, then you might be interested in the selected omission of lyrics via muffling or back dropping. The first omitted lyric is the mention of everyone else not crying, which is a classic fallout move. Fallout is very much a game of isolation and loneliness and how one copes with a horrible reality essentially alone. By returning to the line "crying but me" it emphasizes the sorrow felt by the individual. Again a beloved is set forth in the song as a desired individual, but instead of becoming focused on the beloved as what is insinuated in Fallout 3, the song suggests that the goal is to ignore the beloved. At that moment the game shifts to the confirmation of a nuclear strike. Now that is a tone shift that is being played out vis-a-vis the intertextuality of the song and the game. What it indicates is that this is a game that explores immense loss and as opposed to a sanctimonious solution such as Project Purity, we might come to far more depressing and deflating realization about human nature and the wasteland through the lore uncovered about the nuclear strike.

Welp that's just an eighth glance look at the trailer. I'm sure I'll be back to revisit some other aspects of the trailer. Hope you enjoyed my baseless speculation! 

No comments:

Post a Comment