Saturday, June 23, 2012

Why aren't you reviewing [insert generic popular game here]?

10 posts and over 300 site views later, I find myself realizing that at least a small portion of you have either been regularly reading my blog or are really bored and like to click on random links. Regardless of which party you're in, the above question has probably crossed your mind a few times. I know when you think Super Nintendo sure you think Chrono Trigger, but you also think Super Mario, F-Zero, Megaman X and so on. Also, why has this been regulated to only Super Nintendo games? There are plenty of old N64, Dreamcast, Gensis, NES, and even Gamecube and Xbox games that should be put on a pedestal. Well, yes, I agree and I'm going to explain what goes into some of the rationale I use when choosing these games. So I'm going to create a list, because they're comprehensive and it's easy to sucker people into reading them.

1. I'm not home, nor am I near any systems.
       The truth is I'm not home so vizzed is the best access I have to video games. I currently don't have a usb controller so RPGs make the natural choice for playing on my laptop. When I get back home I'll have access to more games and will consider making more reviews.

2. I won't review a game if I feel like I can't bring anything new to the table.
       Yes, Chrono Trigger and Earthbound have both been reviewed and heralded as great games, but what I was trying to do was to give a modern look on those reviews and also add some depth to the conversation of why these games are so great. Some games this has been done for extensively and I feel I can't really add more to the conversation. For example:

Egoraptor did an amazing video dissecting the gameplay aspects of megaman x, explaining why it was such an amazing game. I really found his video to be comprehensive and entertaining. If I were to explain why megaman x was so good I'd probably end up rehashing many of the same points. So there really is no point. Also, as you may have noticed I have more experience analyzing a narrative. I take into consideration gameplay, controls and other aspects, but I tend to contextualize them within narrative. This is why I focus on so many RPGs. Does this mean I'm only going to review RPGs? No, in fact I'm considering to do one on Donkey Kong Country as soon as I can get through replaying it.

3. Some games I don't have access to or I simply don't like
         My friend asked me to take a gander at Metroid Prime. I told him I was considering doing Super Metroid instead. He then insisted on how great it was, but in truth I played it once it came out and didn't find it to be all that compelling. While, the story was simple and clear in Super Metroid, I found myself constantly trying to remember what the story even was in Metroid Prime. I also liked the gameplay in Super Metroid and don't remember being a big fan of the gamecube transfer. Does this mean Metroid Prime is a horrible game? No, I just didn't like it much. I have promised him if I get access to my old gamecube and the game I'll replay it just to review it, but for most cases if I don't have access to the game or simply don't like it, I'm not going to play it. It's that simple.

Well I hope this clears up how I go about choosing games. Feel free to comment or suggest games, if I have access and I've never heard of it I will try it out.


2 comments:

  1. Haha Metroid Prime doesn't have a narrative. Well, it does, but nothing beyond "space pirates are doing bad experiments with mutagens, kill them". That was a game that sells itself entirely on immersion, and while it is starting to get a teensy bit dated now it still does a breathtakingly good job of making your forget that you are playing a game and making you feel that you are all alone on this large, alien world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I get a chance to play it. I'm going to keep that in mind the entire way. space pirates are bad, let's kill them.

      Delete