Sunday, April 7, 2013

League of Legends: Where is the proxy?

             I was watching one of the League "spotlights" and as usual a typical "gamer woman", who is fashioned to capture what riot considers to be the "gamer dream girl", greets me and everyone else in the community as "summoners". At that moment I realized that the player is transformed into a new person when they are playing league of legends. No longer am I Raymond, but instead I'm a summoner, specifically one named ablindleader. The character I control isn't me, yet I'm still in the game as a character. This brings up interesting questions of proxy and who is the proxy in this game? Just for a refresher, the proxy, according to the random semantics I've been using on this blog, is the placeholder or connection between the player and the game world. For example, in the game Legend of Zelda, Link is your proxy. He allows you to interact with the world and morph the people and places around him. One might be tempted to simply call your champion your proxy, but if we're truly following the lore or accepted premise of the game, the summoner could very well be someone in game, you are unknowingly controlling, who in turn controls the champion. This is really amazing when you stop to think about it because the summoner is a mystified version of the player himself. But one might be tempted to burst my over analytical bubble, claiming that she addressed you in the video, meaning you're the summoner and this fictional person doesn't exist. But how do we know? We create our own simulacra with our username. When I play my name isn't Ablindleader, its Raymond. Ablindleader is someone else, who does what Raymond tells him to do. Proxy theory, specifically how proxies are used to connect and disconnect a player from the game is incredibly interesting to me. I feel the denotation of us as "summoners", while seemingly insignificant was a very intelligent decision made by riot. For isn't that all a player is? A summoner, who starts up the world of the game and then supplants the proxy into that world. Perhaps the game of LoL doesn't start with a match, but instead starts when you login.  

No comments:

Post a Comment